|Full name||Ahmed ElAmin|
Communications, research, business, finance, offshore finance, insurance, reinsurance, technology, wine, food. editing.
|Editorial work||News writing, Features writing, Editing, Sub-editing, Photography|
|Last updated||02-11-2015 11:48|
4 rue du Saphir, 1030 Schaerbeek, Brussels, Belgium
Cell: +32475937194. Tel: +3222232194; E-mail: email@example.com
I am an enterprising communications expert and editor with experience in covering the business, finance, legal and technology sectors for a wide range of magazines, newspapers, wire services and online publications. I have held a variety of supervisory/leadership roles.
• Content and communications strategy
• Website development
• Social media
• Print publication
• Managing editor responsible for ESN’s contract with the European Commission’s DG for Research and Innovation for communication services (print, web, content strategy). I oversee a staff of four editors. For the same company and prior to this I provided communication consultancy services to the Commission’s DG Communications. As project manager, these services included a report on a user-centric approach to the rationalization of Europa, the Commission’s web presence (consisting of ~540 websites). The rationalization effort is currently underway.
Personal: Canadian citizen with a long-term work permit in Belgium; Under EU law I have the right to work in EU as I am married to a French citizen (this year), with whom I have a 5-year-old son.
• Senior editor responsible for editorial and publicity content for a number of European Commission publications and web sites, including ICT Results (http://cordis.europa.eu/ictresults/index.cfm); and European Economy News (ECFIN). I oversee a group of contributing freelancers.
• Developed journalist training and career development courses for an online publisher
• Co-founded and developed an online publication focusing on providing legal, financial and political news for professionals and businesses operating in offshore financial centres.
• Attended and reported on major business court cases involving up to billions of dollars
• Interviewed top executives at global companies and major financial organisations (IMF, Eurogroup; ECFIN); finance ministers; and political and social leaders in North America, Africa, and Europe.
• Experienced sub editor
Editorial Coordinator, European Service Network (ESN) January 2008–present
Responsible for editorial and publicity content for a number of European Commission publications and web sites, including DG Communications, GNSS Supervisory Authority and European Economy News (ECFIN). I am currently managing editor for RETELL, our contract with DG Research and oversee a staff of four editors and a number of freelancers.
Group Editor, Decision News Media, Montpellier, France 2005–2007
Responsible for a group of reporters and seven daily online publications covering the European and US food and beverage manufacturing sectors (processing, packaging, safety/quality and supply chain). I re-vamped the focus of the publications, improved the timeliness of coverage and put quality controls in place. I was responsible for hiring and training editorial staff based on a three-level internal training course I developed for the group’s 15-member news team.
Managing Editor, OffshoreOn, Bermuda, France, London 2000–2004
With two other partners and financial backing from Zurich Financial Services, I co-founded and edited
OffshoreOn as an independent monthly publication covering financial, legal and political news relating to 40 offshore centres. Worked with our marketers in Bermuda, London and Toronto and commissioned articles from professionals. The publication closed down in September 2004.
Business Section Editor, Royal Gazette, Bermuda 1997–1999
Supervised the business section for the daily newspaper. I also covered the global reinsurance, banking, mutual fund and telecommunications sectors. I continued to contribute to the newspaper and its magazine as a weekly technology columnist from up to 2012.
I was also:
• reporter for Reuters (1998-1999); and
• Bermuda reporter for Financial Times Insurance Report (1997-1999)
• report writer for the Economist Intelligence Unit (1997-1999)
Business Editor, Bermuda Sun, Bermuda 1994–1997
Sub-editor from 1994-1995. Business reporter 1995-1997. I helped re-design the newspaper and expanded its business coverage. I was responsible for the newspaper's Internet site, which I initiated and developed.
Journalist, Cobourg Daily Star, Ontario, Canada 1994
Covered the medical/health beat and Native Canadian issues for a daily newspaper.
Editor, Kutlwano Magazine, Botswana 1991–1993
Editor responsible for story assignment, layout and the development of a national monthly magazine. The publication focused on covering development and economic issues. I supervised the work of four reporters, who I also helped train. I helped redesign the magazine and sharpen its editorial focus. I was consulted on establishing a computer network for the Botswana Press Agency. I was also:
• Reporter for Agence France-Presse (1991-1993) covering regional issues dealing with the Southern African Development Community, which is headquartered in Botswana. AFP subsequently offered me a full time position in South Africa, but the then apartheid government refused to grant a work permit.
Journalist, Share Newspaper, Toronto 1990 –1991
As staff reporter I covered topics covering the issues affecting Toronto’s Caribbean and African communities.
• Now Magazine, Toronto (Freelance reporter 1990-1991)
• Canadian Press, Toronto, Canada (Editorial assistant 1990)
• World University Service of Canada, Botswana (Secondary school teacher 1987-1989)
• Freelance reporter (1985-1987 Brazil and Toronto)
• 2013: Certificate in Infographics – Knight School of Journalism
• 1990: Completed the first year of the Chartered Financial Analysts programme
• 1984-1985: Master of Arts, Journalism, University of Western Ontario
• 1980-1984: Bachelor of Arts (Hon), Philosophy, English, University of Toronto