|Full name||Joycellyn Akuffo|
Features: real life, health and beauty, fashion, travel, personal finance and home interest. News articles Press releases
|Editorial work||News writing, Features writing, Editing, Sub-editing|
|Last updated||28-09-2011 18:09|
Address: Flat 2, 121 Croydon Road, Penge, London SE20 7TT,
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile: 07957 397 602, Website: www.joycellyn.com
Nationality: British Age Last Birthday: 25 D.O.B: 25/11/78
I have a passion for playing with words, which means shaping dull articles in sharp and intriguing copy as a dynamic sub.
Having worked on a wide spectrum of publications, from building technology, young people in care to young fashion-savvy women, one of my qualities is getting into the mindset of the reader and then making sure that copy quenches their thirst.
I am also proficient in industry-standard software such as Quark Xpress, Photoshop, and Illustrator, and Microsoft Office software, namely Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
2002 Morley College: Practical Journalism
2002 Maple Academy: Professional Proof Reading course
1997–2001 London Guildhall University: BSc (Hon) Psychology
2000-2001 International Correspondence Schools: Diploma in Psychology
1990-1997 Virgo Fidelis Independent School for Girls
‘A’ Levels: Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Maths
GCSE’s: Biology, Chemistry, Classical Studies, English Literature, English Language, French, Information Systems, Maths and Religious Studies
11/03–present: Highbury Leisure (Chief sub editor, Gardens Monthly)
• Subbing pages from first arrival to final proof in house style.
• Managing production schedule and staff (freelance and internal).
• Supervising work of horticultural journalist.
• Ensuring picture and production quality.
• Communication with contributors and PR agencies to check accuracy and style.
• Managing ‘Great Gardening Gear’ section.
• Close liaison with editor to ensure magazine content is of a high standard.
11/02–11/03: B&M Publications (Deputy Editor, Builders’ Merchants News)
• Production of monthly magazine using Quark Xpress and Photoshop; Subbing freelance contributions, press releases and general copy; Passing final proofs to repro house and dealing with any difficulties; Picture editing in Photoshop; Laying out pages in Quark; Working with style sheets and designing pages from scratch; Attending press briefings; Interviewing for features and news stories; Writing news and feature articles; Commissioning; Liasing with PR companies ;Liaison with managing editor, publisher, contributors and production team to ensure that copy deadlines are met.
04/00-11/02: The Children’s Society (Editor, Rights)
• Production of quarterly magazine- ‘Rights’ (using Quark Xpress, PhotoShop and Illustrator) along with leaflets and posters as and when required.
• Managing and editing magazine content, production and design, scheduling; liasing with printers; commissioning; picture research and editing; managing one member of and freelancers; and running production to meet deadlines.
12/00-05/03: Spirit Communications (Editor, Roots)
• Managing editorial team and freelancers; Commissioning, editing, writing features and problem page; Subbing copy to house style; Attending press briefings; Liasing with PR companies; Liasing with printers to ensure that page layout is specific to magazine house style.
07/99-04/00: Institute of International Research (Conference manager)
• Managing the logistics of conferences and seminars; Proof- reading and editing of speaker presentations; Liasing with speakers, venues and couriers at all levels to ensure the smooth running of events.
1997–1999: Brook Street Recruitment Agency (Various Administrative Posts for DTI, HM Treasury and House of Fraser Corporate Head Office on a part-time basis)
• Use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and Outlook for general office duties such as minute-taking, database management, audio typing, providing secretarial support to managers within a team and dairy management.
Published work includes general features, columns, real-life features, beauty features and quizzes for the following:
• New Woman
• Practical Parenting
• Woman’s Weekly
• Retail Week
• Woman & Home
• Girl About Town (GAT)
• Your Home & Garden
• Black Beauty & Hair
National Union of Journalists
Sean O’Connell, Chief sub editor, 25 Beautiful Homes, IPC Media, King’s Reach Tower, Stamford Street, London SE1 9LS.
Lisa Arcangeli, Managing editor, Builders’ Merchants News, Hereford House, Bridle Path, Croydon, Surrey CR9 4NL.