|Full name||Karen Beavis|
Professional awards writer covering the public and private sectors including recruitment, education, software design, retail, manufacturing, engineering and healthcare. Works with companies and individuals to help them win top industry and personal awards.
|Editorial work||News writing, Features writing, Editing, Sub-editing|
|Last updated||14-02-2017 19:49|
A highly-skilled editor/journalist with extensive experience of writing for weekly and monthly trade journals; newsletters; the national press; websites and intranets; in-house journals; customer magazines; and corporate publications. Experience gained from working in a number of sectors including financial services, healthcare, the public sector, telecommunications and public relations.
2010 - present Consultant
As a consultant with Awards Intelligence, I work closely with companies and individuals to help them develop a winning awards strategy. I am an expert at writing compelling award entries for firms entering major business awards, such as the Queen’s Award for Enterprise and National Business Awards, and have an excellent track record of helping clients win coveted awards.
May 2002 – Dec 2009 Freelance writer and editor
2003 – 2009 Managing editor of annual conference book for the
Institute of Healthcare Management. Involved report writing of speeches, commissioning authors and sub-editing features.
1999 – 2009 Writing a weekly feature and guides on personal finance for Moneyextra.com, syndicated to MSN, Exchange & Mart and Virgin Media websites.
2002 – 2009 Feature writing for magazines including Mortgage
Finance Gazette, Overseas Property Professional and International Medical Travel Journal, European Banker, Credit Today, the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants and Yellow Pages. Also, contributed personal finance articles to the Guardian Weekly and Saga website.
2007 Editing magazine features and brochures aimed at customers for AIG Unity Guaranty.
2006 – 2008 Freelance writer of CVs for individuals working in a wide range of industries for The Fuller CV.
2005 – 2007 Copywriter for Siemens Enterprise Communications writing quarterly in-house journal and editing product sheets, customer brochures and intranet copy.
Aug 2005 – Apr 2006 Communications specialist (eight-month contract)
with Department of Trade & Industry working on Supply2.gov.uk website. Responsible for writing, editing and production of all publicity material including newsletters, brochures, magazine editorials and website copy to promote Supply2.gov.uk, a new portal for publicising lower-value public sector contracts.
2003 Temporary copywriter for accountants PKF editing in-house journal and customer magazines (three-month contract).
2003 Editor of a customer magazine for Barclays Bank (two-
April 1995 - June 2002 Editor
• Editor of two bi-monthly business-to-business financial newsletters - Retail Finance Direct and Insurance Direct & Interactive. Researched and wrote news stories covering the direct selling of financial services products via the internet and telephone.
• Contributed features to the Times, Independent on Sunday, Evening Standard and corporate publications.
Nov 1987 - Mar 1995 Deputy editor, Mortgage Finance Gazette
• Researched and wrote news stories and features on retail savings, mortgage lending, wholesale funding, property prices, banking, branch design, fraud and legislation.
• Specialised in writing business and personality profiles.
• Freelance work included contributing articles on personal finance to the Times for 18 months and writing articles for corporate magazines for clients including BT and Mortgage Express.