|Full name||Denise Tyler|
working mothers, parenting, childcare, feature interviews, hotels and hospitality, media training
|Editorial work||News writing, Features writing|
|Last updated||28-09-2011 18:09|
“A highly qualified and versatile journalist aligned with extensive PR experience”
· BA Hons (II/ii) in Public Media and English Literature, Leeds University, 1987 – 1990.
· MA Text and Performance Studies, King’s College, London and Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA), 1990-1991
Agencies/Organisations worked for:
· 1991-3: Dewynters, London, West End Theatre marketing
· 1993: Operation Raleigh, London (UK and France cycle ride with eco-projects)
· 1994-6: TEAM Marketing, Lucerne, Switzerland (UEFA Champions League)
· 1996-9: API, London (now Octagon)
· 1999 – present day: Freelance journalist, sports PR consultant
Commissions as freelance journalist
Skylines (BA’s in-flight magazine):
· June/July 1999 – In-depth feature on skin cancer, how to prevent it, how to spot it.
· Oct/Nov 1999 – Feature on phobias – what types there are, who has them and how to come to terms with them.
· Dec 1999/Jan 2000 - Feature on buying and selling on the web.
· Feb/Mar 2000 – Feature on the Hanover Expo – what it is and why to go.
· April/May 2000 – Feature on rats – exploring their background and increasing popularity as pets.
· Aug/Sept 2000 – Feature on child prodigies, what they are, who they are and how to tell if you’ve got one..
· Oct/Nov 2000 – Travel feature on Frankfurt.
· May 2001 – Feature on dreams, what they are, why they occur and what they might mean.
· Oct 2001 – In depth feature on Manchester’s preparations for the Commonwealth Games
· Dec 2001 – Feature on ‘behind the scenes of circus life’, featuring interviews with circus owners and performers.
· 1st Dec 2001 - Feature on the inadequacies of high street retailers to provide kit and equipment for sportswomen. (abridged version of feature which appeared in the Sportswoman in December)
· Aug 2001 – Profile of Olympian Denise Lewis
· October 2001 – Feature interview with wheelchair basketball Paralympian, Claire Strange
· November 2001 – Feature interview with 3 Day Eventer and Olympian, Pippa Funnell.
· Dec 2001 – Feature on the inadequacies of high street retailers to provide kit and equipment for sportswomen.
· Jul/Aug 2001 – Buying property in Athens
· Jan 2004 - Viva Espana exhibition brochure – profile of Joaquin Cortes
· Jan/Feb 2000 – Feature on getting the media on your side as a rugby club or player.
· May/June 2000 – How the internet may influence the sale of sports TV rights.
· May 1999 – Feature on the sponsorship industry and how to make the best of a sponsorship deal.
· 24 Nov 2000 – Feature examining what other sports are doing to counteract the massive media attention given to football.
Wifesgone.com – a website dedicated to helping newly single men.
Jul – Sept 2004 - Features on:
· Children – entertainment on a budget.
· Household management – what it is and how to do it.
· The dating game – how to get started.
· Childcare – where to start and what your options are.
· Cleaners – how to hire one and what to expect.
mother@work - September 2003 – present day:
Founder and Editor of mother@work, a web based monthly magazine for working mothers.
Main feature writer, news writer and interviewer – please visit http://www.motheratwork.co.uk for information.
Includes interviews with Shirley Conran, Prue Leith, Penny Streeter and Rachel Elnaugh among others.
· Aug 1994 – Sept 1996 - Monthly newsletters on behalf of UEFA Champions League as part of press officer role.
· Contributor to Colchester Evening Gazette during VI form at school.
· Editor of University Newspaper for one year while at Leeds, 1988-9.
· Student attachment to IPC’s 19 magazine, 1989.
· Trainee reporter for BBC Essex (radio), 1986-1987.
Individual secondments as sports PR Consultant (www.visionsportspr.com):
· Press Officer with Team GB in Sydney at the 2000 Olympics
· Press Officer to World Amateur Boxing Championships, Belfast, 2001
· Chief Press Officer to Team England at the Manchester Commonwealth Games, 2002
· Press Officer at the Flora London Marathon 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
· Chief Press Officer at the Team GB Holding Camp, Cyprus for the 2004 Olympics
· Press Officer for the Flora Light Marathon, Hyde Park, 2004
· Press officer for the Hydro Active Challenge, Hyde Park, 2005
Hardworking, deadline friendly, thorough, flexible, versatile, safe pair of hands!